In days gone by, any computer guy worth his salt had a collection of boot floppies, 5.25″ & 3.5″, containing a mix of MS-DOS, DR-DOS, Toms Root Boot & Norton tools. These days passed and the next set of essentials was boot cd-r, containing BartPE, RIPLinux, Knoppix etc. People quickly switched to carrying these tools USB sticks, smaller, easier to change, great when the dodgy PC you were trying to breathe life into supported USB booting.
- just incase anybody was interested, the slides from my BarCamp Belfast talk are here: Google Docs SlideShare (you can download the PPT from there as well)
- St Anne’s Cathedral Originally uploaded by SimonMcC
- BarCampBelfast-planning Originally uploaded by SimonMcC
- DavyMac’s iPhone Photography talk at BarCamp Belfast 2010 Originally uploaded by SimonMcC
- Matt Johnston commented recently that the recent surge in activity in the community side of the local tech & business scene could be “the ‘real’ end of the ‘Troubles’?”. It’s definitely a positive thing, I’m delighted the next generation of technologists in Northern Ireland has a growing & diverse community around them. Something that was sorely lacking in my formative years, where it seemed that the only exposure to technology was from inside the technology firm you worked in.
- Brand: Union hand-roasted Bean: sumatra, extra fancy Region/Producer: Gayo Mountain Co-Operative, Aceh. Roast: Grind: Cafetière Test brew: Espresso Test Equipment: Kenwood Cremissimo Full bodied, deep rich taste, minimal bitter aftertaste, but not overly sweet. Very impressed. 4⁄5
- I’m just back from the Open Source Solution Centre’s Information Evening at the Seagoe Hotel, Daniel Bled has obviously worked hard at sharing his passion for open source software, he and the rest of the team from Southern Regional College & InvestNI put on an evening they should be proud of. Daniel did a sterling job of trying to convey the Open Source philosophy to the gathered non-technical, business oriented audience.
- The Open Source Solution Centre are running an information evening at the Seagoe Hotel, Portadown on Monday 30th March 2009, there’s more info here and here. I hope attend and help convey what open source can do for business users and what the tangible benefits and advantages are. There is more information about the Open Source Solution Centre here. You can find more about Job Done Right, my open source consultancy and advice service here.
- We both fluffed our vows, he fluffed his inauguration vow, I fluffed my wedding vow, only one is on the web for the world to see 🙂 there is no 2.